Monday 5 April 2010

Portfolio v2.0



This is the second edition of my portfolio that I put together over easter break, using the last project that Carl and I worked on together. I really am pleased with how that one turned out. Anyway, yes, I'm much more pleased with Portfolio 2.0 than I was with the first one. I sent this one to about five people altogether and got two responses.

One from Lee at B&W Studio:

" Hi Hana - I would start by maybe not designing yourself a logo! or if you
do, make sure it's simple... OR THE BEST thing ever.

I think here at B&W Studio we are really keen on good typography - this kind
of didn't reflect that.

I think the work should present the presentation and not the logo BIG on the
first page - maybe some really nice typography... 2 logo's also and
repeating yourself.

I also feel there is too much per page, and you come to the end very
quickly... thankyou for your time...! not too sure it took long enough.

Seperate the work a little and make a story from it. If there is anything
you are not quite sure about - take it out.

I'd expect a little more also.

Over designed typo at the bottom, and not enough space. I like running
headers explain stuff - but does it have to be 12pt text?

WORK IS GOOD - and I can see some really good potential here...

Think about this as been you very most important project.

I reckon you should look through plenty of Creative Reviews / Design Weeks /
Grafik magazines - this is where you will find other companies. It's really
key that you do the research... as you've done with us.

HOPE THIS HELPS - cheers Lee "

Which was really helpful, a nice long emailing with really good feedback, this is exactly what I wanted. I see what he means about the logo and think I'm definitely going to rejig this again, maybe spread it out a bit more. I am still planning on doing a load of work in the summer to pad this out too.

Another came from Sam at Aloof Design:

" Hi Hana,

Thank you for your email- flattered you like our work.

In response to your question, I think you need to get much more work into your portfolio to give people a really good idea of the breadth of your ideas/ skills/ interests, and show some of the thinking/ concept work behind the final result.

Hope that's useful.

All the best,

Sam
Creative Director "

Short, but appreciated. It's all well and good telling me that I need to put more work in there, but the whole point of this exercise was to create a 'mini' portfolio, five pieces of work max.

Either way, I'll take all of this on board.

-HJ x

No comments:

Post a Comment